Pages

Sep 14, 2014

Stirling or Bust

On Saturday we spent the afternoon in Stirling, a city about an hour's bus ride from Edinburgh. The day before our trip, I did some research on the area, via the all-knowing Wikipedia (I still feel like I'm doing something wrong when I look stuff up on Wiki because of the repetitive lectures we got in college about inaccurate resources, etc.), and it is full of history.  Meh, so is everywhere else in this dang country. ;) There is so much to see and do in Stirling, and while we got a killer deal for a bus ticket (£4 round trip! For comparison, it costs £1.50 to take a 5 minute bus, one way, downtown), our time was limited to just a few hours in the city.  So we decided to just visit the Church of The Holy Rude and Stirling Castle. Andre, a cool Brazilian in Neal's MBA program, came along. We had so much fun getting to know the guy. Three cheers for new friends!











Church of the Holy Rude- the coronation of James VI, King of Scots, was held here.





Beautiful cemetery behind the church
William Wallace memorial. No time to hike there of course, but we will be back just for that!
Stirling Castle

Eleanor, Queen of Scots, appears to be ordering the beheading of her own mother.





Renaissance carvings were straight up creeepy.


But then again, so is my child.





I just fell in love with this city. It's so close to Edinburgh, we plan to make several return visits! (We seem to say that everywhere we go..)

Fuzzy portrait of our little group. We need to get our blasted Nikon repaired so I can take not-iPhone-pictures!

 Not pictured: the most delicious, piping hot plate of haggis, neeps (turnips) and tatties (potatoes) from a local pub. It was to die for! I think I'm going to get a little brave and attempt to make haggis at home this week. I really have no choice, as chicken costs £6 (over 10 dollars) for 3 teeny breasts at my supermarket! Chicken is officially a delicacy in the Lutz household.

No comments:

Post a Comment